Sunday, May 25, 2008

'The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian' review

From left, Georgie Henley, William Moseley, Ben Barnes, Anna Popplewell and Skandar Keynes in The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian.  Watch the trailer: http://movies.aol.com/movie/the-chronicles-of-narnia-prince-caspian/24862/main

I haven't read the Narnia books but I saw a British TV miniseries and the first Narnia movie a few years ago. After seeing Indiana Jones 4 yesterday and see this one today, I think I'm on special effects overload. Yes these movies don't skimp on the visuals, but the new Narnia opus seemed to be longish, repetitive of the first movie, and tiresome compared to the cheaper British version. One protracted fight after the other reminded me of The Lord of the Rings trilogy as all those movies blurred together in my mind. At first I thought Narnia was in Castille because the bad guys' costumes resemble Spain circa 1500 and the mixed cast of Mediterranean accents were hard to decipher at times, including the title character's.
    It's not that I didn't like this movie or admire the work put into it. It's just that it overwhelmed us for the wrong reasons. There's a lousy singer and song over the end credits; I dared not stay to learn the identity of the perpetrator.  Why do producers have to add contemporary songs that clash with the subject matter/time period?  Tilda Swinton makes a too brief visit as the Ice Queen and she'll probably return for more sequels.
OK I'm tired & cranky so here's a positive review worth reading: http://movies.nytimes.com/2008/05/16/movies/16narn.html

No comments: