Wednesday, February 29, 2012

R.I.P. Davy Jones





Davy Jones passed away today at 66 from a heart attack. I wasn't a huge Monkees fan like my wife Martha who's upset over the news. About 10 years ago we saw the Monkees Reunion Tour at a local theater. Martha had her teenage wish to see them in person finally come true. Michael Nesmith was the only one of the four members who was not present. To be honest, the other three put on such a good show, we didn't miss him. They sang as well as before.

>>>>We had sixth row seats and got pretty close to them when they walked to the front of the stage. Parents our age brought their children to see them as we watched the guys joke between songs. All their hits were presented. Martha remarked that Davy had the energy of two guys together half his age of 56 at the time. I shall never forget this concert because for the finale they played 'I'm Not Your Stepping Stone.' What was so memorable about this song was that the volume was cranked up so high to permanently damage my right ear which was close to a bank of speakers. To this day my ear will hurt if concerts & movies are played too loud. I carry earplugs in anticipation.

>>>>We own the DVD of this tour and we'll have to replay it this weekend. Poor Davy.... Gone too soon.

No comments: