Saturday, November 15, 2008

The Ahn Trio in Concert


It's always great to see your favorite performers in concert. I've been fortunate to see most of them over the years, sometimes many years after they've been on the music scene and are still as good as ever. Last night we got to see a new favorite called the Ahn Trio that I wrote about on an earlier blog. Check out their website: http://www.ahntrio.com/v2/ These three Korean sisters (Maria the cellist and Lucia the pianist are twins and their younger sister Angella plays violin and spoke for the group) travel over the world with their eclectic mix of classical, rock, tango, jazz, etc. When I learned that they were playing in nearby Hartford and their tickets cost only $20, an incredible bargain but I would have paid double or more, we would be crazy not to attend.
Friday night was rainy so we left early to get there when the doors opened because it was general seating in a grand old church with vaulted ceilings and marvelous acoustics. We raced to get to the front row/pew so my wife who plays piano could watch the pianist's fingerings. They arrived on stage decked out in colorful gowns and sequined shoes. They charmed the crowd with their playful sibling rivalry banter. They played selections from their CDs and some new ones with one intermission where I bought their first two CDs to fill out my collection.
Seeing them live was as good as hearing their CDs and only better to watch this tightly-knit group keep pace but never upstage each other. My only regret is that they didn't play any tango but there was some worked into 'My Funny Valentine,' a fave song that's on their latest CD, Lullaby For My Favorite Insomniac. I managed to take video of their curtain call as they exited the stage. We could have met them after the show to sign our CDs but we were tired and didn't want to wait in line.
Here's a good introduction to them and their work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcsUVKo-UE4&feature=related Here's another video about their Lullaby CD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O1kmpHwS_8&feature=related

No comments: