Tuesday, November 4, 2008

'Don Giovanni' Review

http://ctopera.com/

If I haven't mentioned it before, my wife & I enjoy all kinds of music and wanted to know more about opera. There's an earlier Blog entry about why you should listen to Opera. A few years ago we started taking an Adult Ed course in town. 10 two hours sessions where we watch and discuss videos; no tests, just fun listening to great music. We're taken on a field trip to see a live production so this time we went to the Palace Theater in nearby Waterbury. And what a grand old showplace that was recently restored to its former majesty: http://www.palacetheaterct.org/
I've seen Don Giovanni before on stage performed by a local opera company. The sets were minimal but effective and the cast was wonderful. I own DVDs of Joseph Losey's marvelos 1979 version filmed on location and a recent filmed staged production featuring Renee Fleming. I won't bore you with a plot synopsis you can find online so let me say this was a big but good, conventional production that would satisfy those who never seen this opera and would also please fans.

No comments: